Sunday, October 2, 2011

INDEPENDENCE SHOCKER:World oldest preacher says Nigeria may split by 2015 except…



By Bose Adelaja
When one considers his age, he or she will expect that president/founder of Christ Gospel Apostolic Church, CGAC, Pa Samuel Akinbode Sadela should be growing weaker and weaker but the reverse is the case. At the age of 111, the world’s oldest preacher and longest serving pastor was on Saturday, August 27, 2011, full of hope and expectations after 79 years on the pulpit.
His dentition is complete, his memory is sharp and his sight has not grown deem but he wears a pair of glasses strictly based on medical recommendation. He resides in a storey building where he descends the stairs once daily to carry out daily routine. With a handshake and
some words of pray-ers, he welcomed this reporter to his premises at Soluyi Area of Gbagada in Lagos where the 20 minutes interview was conducted.
Decked in a white attire, with a black cap and a pair of black sandals to match, his smile was articulate and co-ordinated. Papa’s primary concern is soul winning. He forbids the use of church fund to equip himself, as a result, all he owns were gifts from people who believe they have been blessed by his contributions to the vineyard of God. Pa Sadela uses his own funds to develop other men of God who have performed creditably well in their soul winning assignment. He builds homes and buys cars for them to encourage their ministerial assignment.
Papa who was born into a pagan family in 1900 to Princess Adetiye and her husband, Pa Sadela in Ifon, Ondo State, set-tled in Lagos some decades back. The young Sadela left his parents at the age of 14 in search of formal education which his parents could not give him. He confided in Vanguard that an Angel taught him the use of the Holy Bible before he struggled to major out his elementary education solely.
                                                      Pa Samuel Akinbode Sadela


In a chat, Pa Sadela claimed that he started his career from The Apostolic Church, TAC, be-fore he later pitched tent with Christ Apostolic Church, CAC under the leadership of late Apostle Joseph Ayodele Baba-lola who he met in 1930.
Working career
Papa, the last child of a family of 12, was over pampered by his parents and that made him a rascal. He completed his standard education in 1925 and worked as a public servant; a tax collector for three days per week and a court clerk twice per week and was always with a team of Policemen.
His baptism
He got baptised in 1930 after his first encounter with Apostle Ayodele Babalola but his baptismal certificate was not ready until 1933. ”I also witnessed Apostle Babalola’s wedding in 1936 at Ilesa, Osun State,” Baba claimed.
His ministerial assignment
Papa started the Okitipupa branch of Christ Apostolic Church in 1935 and two years later, “we travelled to Lagos to meet Pastor Babatope Adegbo-yega, that was the year CAC left TAC. The TAC continued her convention but CAC could not, until year 1942 which took place at Efon-Alaye in 1943, Ile-Ife in 1944, Ibadan in 1945; Ijebu-Ode in 1946; Owo in 1947; Oyan in 1948. I was in Akure as a pastor, so I could not attend but in December 1954, I went back to Okitipupa as a general overseer.”
His childhood days
”I was born and brought up in Ifon. My experience as a child started from my home town in Imoru, Ondo State. My father was an idol worshiper while my mother was a princess of Ifon, both in Ifon. History has it that I was born in the month of August 1900, at a period when the first General Overseer of our church resumed in my town. In those days, the fourth Ajike called Olowo of Owo was the chief interpreter in my church in Ifon.
“He was my uncle who nick-named me ‘Aboyinbode’ meaning a child born at a time when the whiteman visited our town. There were few roads in those days and I left home in 1914 for the fact that my parents refused to send me to school. I was a rascal and my mother gave birth to 12 of us. Being the last born of the family, my parents never consented to the idea of sending me to school and I felt the best way to achieve this was to run away from home,” he claimed.
Papa’s view on Nigeria
”I have said it for the past 10 years that things will never go well in this country until we return to true federalism. I have travelled to some parts of the world and many of these countries operate true federalism which makes them successful. Nigerians have practiced parliamentarianism, president-ialism and a host of others which never worked for good but true federalism will work if we can operate that,” he recommended. He further advocated for state ownership of refineries and power supply, adding that such will bring healthy competition among the federating units and reduce corruption in the country; “if not, the rate of unemployment will be astronomical and our youths will continue to suffer.”
Message for President Goodluck Jonathan
If President Goodluck Jonath-an is here right now, this is what I will tell him; that true federalism will be the best government for Nigeria, else he will continue to labour in vain. That was what I advised late Chief M.K.O. Abiola, Gen. Tunde Idiagbon before their government was toppled. So also, late Chief Obafemi Awolo-wo and Gen. Olusegun Obasa-njo who agreed and said it can only be achieved through thorough planning. Obasanjo is my son, I told him he would beco-me a president and will run for two terms; but I have not set my eyes on him since he left office. I sent him a note recently which he acknowledged.
Message to Nigerian governors
All the governors are trying but ‘apa aimudele ologbo, ko je ki a mope oun se ode’ (their efforts will not be noticeable until the nation returns to true federalism). Gov. Ibikunle Amosun is hardworking but Mr. Baba-tunde Fashola is the best governor so far. He accomplished what the military government could not achieve, especially at Mushin. He could have gone far if his efforts could be complemented by true federalism. Asiwaju Bola Tinubu also tried his best. He wanted to install electricity but the Federal Government did not give him the encouragement. We cannot remain in darkness and expect productivity, Nigeria is in gross darkness.
On how true federalism could be achieved, Papa said any government can do this if they are interested but the problem is who will set the pace?
Papa’s expectation for Nigeria
I am always bitter that things are not working in this country, but we can retrace our steps. We cannot sit in a place and expect manna from heaven. Electricity can bring a lot of good things into the country. I spend a lot on diesel to get things done. Each state should have a refinery, if this is not done by year 2015, Nigeria will likely split. Our youths are endowed but lack of electricity is a hindrance. Nigeria is a very rich country. I wish Nigerian leaders can hearken to the voice of elders so that the whole world will know that the nation is richly blessed. My expectation is that Nigeria will be transformed.
VANGUARD NIGERIA

DONT FORGET TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS. THANKS:::

No comments:

Post a Comment